« Best. Gift. Ever. | Home | More shopping »

Day after

By Tara Zandra | December 27, 2008

Not many new posts going on in the blogs I read and I’m apparently no exception. It was a busy, busy week. And I was doing a lot of it without Chris due to his car hunt. I finally had to send the kids to my mom’s on Tuesday so I could work on their aprons for a few solid hours. Of course, I left the project until the very last minute so while I was sewing in the evenings after the kids were in bed, Chris had to do just about all of the wrapping. That’s a tall order around these parts. But everything came together and we had a wonderful Christmas.

The first present was Christmas Eve morning when Chris went out and bought a 2009 Scion XB in Teal Mica. It’s a great car and he’s very happy as am I. This is the first brand new car we’ve ever owned or bought. We both came into this relationship with used cars that were given to us, then we bought 2 cars, both used, and we had one other used car given to us. Needless to say, we’re pretty stoked with the whole “new” thing.

We went to my in-laws’ Christmas Eve evening and had a wonderful time with family and friends. It was quite the party and I got a few good conversations in with people that we rarely get to spend time with. The kids at the party (ages 3, 5, 8, 9 and 12) created their own “Kid’s Lounge” in the computer room which included not only a sign on the door, but badges on each member. Then there was a parade through the house, though the 12 year old abstained from that. A lot of it was led by my Tabi, which is to be expected, but the others were right there with her.

We came home around 11pm and the girls set up milk and cookies for Santa and carrots for the reindeer. Then they checked Norad to see how close Sants was and then jumped into bed in their matching Nick and Nora gingerbread, sock monkey, PJs. I read them ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas and then it was lights out. Then Chris and I stayed up until after 2am just like every single year because that’s how long it takes to get everything finished up.

Tabitha came and got us before 7 which did not feel good but she was ready. We sent her to wake up her sister and then it was off to the living room. The Santa gifts were a huge hit- a unicycle for Tabitha and a Radio Flyer scooter for Daisy (and safety gear for both). They opened their stockings and Chris was surprised to find stuff in his stocking as well. We had agreed not to exchange gifts this year and though he flat out broke that rule with me, I simply went around the rule by having Santa bring his gifts :) Next it was on to the wrapped gifts!

Highlights for the girls would be a Littlest Pet Shop set for each girl, hand puppets and the matching aprons. My Friends Tigger and Pooh Changing Tree play set and a trumpet for Daisy, a deluxe magic kit and High School Musical East High playset for Tabitha. Chris got me the first 3 seasons of Friends and the most wonderful gift of Xanadu of which I’ve already listened to the entire soundtrack. I haven’t a clue how I still remember all the words, but I do.

After we enjoyed cinnamon rolls we got dressed and headed to my in-laws’ for gift opening and cheese tamales. Chris got a myriad of gift cards that are just right and the girls were pleased to get American Girl items as well as Tinker Bell sets. Eventually it was time to come home to have my mom and sister over.

We had a very pleasant visit and I loved giving my mom her gift of a 16×20 framed collage of the girls from the past year. At the top it said “Grandma’s Sweeties 2008.” She really enjoyed it and that always pleases me.

Today we headed out to lunch after sitting around just about all morning in our PJs. We were in the mood for Mexican so went to On the Border only to find the restaurant closed for good. So we hit a nearby Baja Fresh instead which wasn’t quite the same but still very tasty. We popped into Old Navy to purchase light sweaters for the girls and I because I seriously erred when I believed two kids that it wasn’t cold and we’d be fine. Not so much. At least it was a good sale. Next we went to a couple shops at a small, outdoor shopping center. Barnes and Noble was first because Chris had a gift card. I picked up lost of stuff for US History for Tabitha- biographies on Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, Abraham Lincoln and Robert E. Lee, a book on what it was like to live in the times of slavery, and also a Magic Treehouse Resource guide on Ancient Rome for Ancient History. I also found a book on counting by 5s and 10s for Daisy though she’s already pretty good at counting by 10s thanks to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. The girls also each picked out one book plus Chris picked up two books. Next I went into Gymboree while the rest of the family enjoyed playing around the fountain and then we searched for sunglasses for Tabitha before heading to Target. The girls each had a gift card for Target, which is why we went, but it was crazy there. They got some things they wanted and then we finally headed home.

I was absolutely freezing and could not warm up for some reason so I hopped into a boiling hot bath with a good book. After that I played Monopoly Town with Daisy and after a while it was evening bed related activities though both kids put up a fight about going to bed. Daisy kicked and screamed and Tabitha stared defiantly. I got the little one calmed down and told the big one to put her feelings about her mean parents into a poem.

The rest of the evening has been spent playing a Wii with Chris and then sitting next to him on the laptop while he played old Atari games. I’ll get Christmas pics up tomorrow, though it’s now after midnight so I guess I mean later today.

Topics: Life |

One Response to “Day after”

  1. Mel Says:
    December 27th, 2008 at 12:46 pm

    Congrats on the new vehicle!