« Disney World ‘08- Day 3 | Home | the last week »

Disney World ‘08- Day 4

By Tara Zandra | February 3, 2008

Alternate title: “Even the animals had umbrellas”

Sunday was the day for Animal Kingdom. I was very excited to go back to this park just to re-experience it’s beauty. We arrived before park opening to attend Donald’s Character Breakfast Buffet at Tusker House. On the way we were able to catch a few pictures without guests in them.

We didn’t have to wait much time before being shown to our table. At this point, Daisy declared her intention of not eating. Loudly. Our waiter was a little too enthused of our Daisy meeting Daisy Duck which didn’t help the situation, but the rest of us were hungry and ready. The buffet was just gorgeous with loads of different pastries, a few kinds of breakfast potatoes, fritatta, and fruits. We all enjoyed what we ate (even the little one who did eat her eggs when I put taco sauce on them). We were visited by Donald, Mickey, Goofy, and Daisy Duck all dressed in safari outfits. Now it was onto the empty park.

First stop was DinoLand where we rode Triceratops Spin (think Dumbo, but with dinos) with only one other family. Then we went into The Boneyard which is a climbing area for kids. Disney World is big into play areas that are like little parks. But I guess they know what they’re doing because my kids certainly love them. Being a dino-themed area there was also a fossil dig that Tabitha was very keen to get to. While there, we met Disney World veterans who had taken their first trip to Disneyland last year so we had a lovely chat comparing the parks while the kids dug out fossils.

After DinoLand we wandered the Maharajah Jungle Trek which has hard-to-spot Tigers and also bats. The bat exhibit is fascinating because there is not a barrier between guests and bats. It is utterly amazing and I could stand there all day just watching those guys.

Next we rode the Kilimanjaro Safari ride and for the second trip in a row, Daisy slept through it. It’s the bounciest ride ever and she sleeps. I’m determined on the next trip that she’ll be awake! Regardless of Daisy’s status, Tabitha, Chris and I really enjoyed it. They changed the pre-recorded audio from our last trip and it is most definitely for the better. I found it rather annoying last time but now it was just a cool ride to see animals. It wasn’t too warm so there were quite a few active animals out and about. Tabs and I did our best to get some pics.

Next was the Pangani Exploration Trail. I love the two trails. Such wonderful opportunities for flora and fauna pictures, plus it’s rather tranquil on the trails. If there were more benches to aid in soaking it all in, they would be perfect.

It was now time for Chris and I to use our fastpasses on Expedition Everest. He and I were going to take turns since one kid can’t ride and the other won’t. But alas, a thunder storm broke out as we walked up and they don’t run the (metal and outdoors) coaster in thunder storms. We waited a good half hour but not only was the thunder not abating, but the clouds looked like rain was eminent. We assumed we’d get a passing storm like the previous night so we headed to the train to take us to Rafiki’s Planet Watch. However, once we disembarked from the train, it started pouring. We decided to wait a minute in a covered area before heading up to the Conservation Station. I just didn’t want to walk in the rain if I could avoid it. But after about 20 minutes we had to admit the rain wasn’t going to stop. So we covered Daisy in her stroller with a poncho and grabbed umbrellas for the rest of us. We started up the path during a slowing of the rain and it really wasn’t too bad other than our feet were soaked (Crocs, you know).

So we came to the Conservation Station and they told us we couldn’t take the stroller in. But not only was Daisy asleep, but there was precious little covered parking for the stroller. Eventually we worked it out and made our way inside. Daisy did wake up and enjoyed looking at the animal murals on the walls. We visited with characters and enjoyed the exhibits and then made our way back through the still pouring rain to get back to the train.

At this point we realized it simply was too wet and we needed a plan. Unfortunately we hadn’t done everything we wanted to do but for our family, walking around soaking just wasn’t an option. We did not want to go back to our room and just sit there until bedtime so we went on a little excursion. We took the resort bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge for food and just to look around.

We didn’t get a fabulous meal and in fact ate junk from their counter service restaurant, but our hungry spirits were restored. By this time the rain had stopped so we went outside to view the animals and were rewarded with giraffes. We spent quite a bit of time out there before coming inside just to sit down in giant rocking chairs in a sitting area.

We eventually made our way back to our resort for the evening. Chris and I altered our itinerary so we could go back to Animal Kingdom for a couple hours another day.

Picture link

Topics: Life, Disney World |

3 Responses to “Disney World ‘08- Day 4”

  1. Mel Says:
    February 3rd, 2008 at 9:45 pm

    That was great to read about. Animal Kingdom is high on our list and has the resort where Tom most wants to stay. I let him pick lodging anywhere we go, he’s way more picky about that than I am. LOL

  2. Mandi Says:
    February 5th, 2008 at 12:05 pm

    Your day started off so great! Animal Kingdom sounds like a place my kids would love.

  3. Sandy Says:
    February 9th, 2008 at 8:39 am

    Animal Kingdom sounds wonderful. The pictures were great - I *so* want a pair of jeans like Tabitha’s! Adorable!!